[Tagging] What's a power=station?

Randy rwtnospam-newsgp at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 19 02:31:25 GMT 2010

Liz wrote:

>Redoing the tagging, and leaving the disputed tag out of the new scheme is
>way to go forward.
>I don't have Randy's qualifications, but to me a "power station" means
>potential energy in and electrical energy (plus waste heat) out.
>The area on the ground containing transformers that step down from high
>voltages to medium voltages is a "substation"
>
>So we can ignore power=station
>and have electricity generation plants, with subkeys for oil, gas, coal,
>nuclear, wind, methane, whatever
>have substations
>and have transformers
>
>Liz

Ignoring all the philosophical noise that followed in this thread, yes, I
concur with you, Liz. Expanding on your comments, I would suggest,

Avoid using power=station (although it would be my preferred term) as a
misdefined term which, when properly used in according with the wiki, is
misused in accordance with common English understanding (acknowledging the
possible blur in the German usage).

Use power=plant to designate a power generating facility, since in
English, one usage of the word "plant" is to denote a facility where
something is produced, often from raw materials; more or less, but not
quite, synonymous with "factory". (my definition)

Use power=substation to denote a voltage transforming (either up or down)
and/or switching facility which is not normally the final transition point
prior to consumption of the power.

Use "power=local_distribution" or something similar for pole transformers,
and underground power, distribution transformers such as the one shown in
the wiki "station" photo, which are typically the final transition prior
to use by a commercial or residential consumer. I purposely avoided
including industrial users. While the basics are the same, it can become a
little fuzzy, since many industrial facilities will have their own,
sometimes quite significant, substation(s).

This would not redefine either of the current power=generator or
power=station terms, but would allow for future deprecation.

One minor caution to some of this: there are other power plants than
electrical plants. For example, there are a few steam power plants where
steam is distributed outside the plant and is used for motive force other
than to turn electrical generators. They are few and far between though,
and mostly archaic or historic, due to the inefficiencies of distribution.
And, they are usually, if not always, within the confines of a larger
facility rather than used as a utility.

--
Randy (I confess, I cheated a little. While I am a registered professional
electrical engineer, most of my background is in electronics, not power.)