[Tagging] What's a power=station?

Ulf Lamping ulf.lamping at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 19 06:51:31 GMT 2010

Am 19.01.2010 05:54, schrieb Stephen Hope:
> I wouldn't be so worried about it except for the fact that we use
> English tags exactly so that you can make a good guess as to what the
> data means without having to go to a lookup table.  When almost all of
> the tags are readable, then an incorrect tag like this will just cause
> problems.  In fact , it already has - I did a quick survey of it's use
> in some areas where I know what's actually there.  Some sub-stations
> are marked with power=station (correct according to the wiki) some
> with power=substation.
>
> I think sub-station and station are both tainted now, unfortunately.

I'm not saying this is a good thing, but:

a) It doesn't really matter for most mappers.

b) It doesn't really matter for almost anyone else ;-)

c) The definitions of these tags were done in ~december 2007 probably by
germans and the native english speakers didn't even care to correct
these definitions till now. Since december 2007 it doesn't seemed to
matter for most people how the actual wording is.

d) I don't think it's a good idea to change a tag description two years
after it was documented, because the wording is "slightly" wrong for
some parts of the english speaking world. Because doing so is an
annoyance for anyone involved and the wording will *always* be slightly
wrong for someone. Not to mention that a lot of people won't
notice/ignore any changes here, as these definitions are "old enough" in
OSM terms. My approach: Stick to the wiki definitions even if you don't
like it and go on mapping :-)

e) Unless someone develops a nice "open power distribution map", this
discussion is pretty much pointless and will continue or "flare up
again" endlessly, regardless of what we'll end up with it now. So if you
are really interested in fixing this "power wording problem", go and
develop such a map. This will motivate the mappers much more to "do it
right" than to conform to whatever rules set/changed in the wiki.

Regards, ULFL