[Tagging] What's a power=station?

Ulf Lamping ulf.lamping at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 19 11:01:24 GMT 2010

Am 19.01.2010 08:03, schrieb Liz:
> On Tue, 19 Jan 2010, Ulf Lamping wrote:
>> d) I don't think it's a good idea to change a tag description two years
>> after it was documented, because the wording is "slightly" wrong for
>> some parts of the english speaking world. Because doing so is an
>> annoyance for anyone involved and the wording will always be slightly
>> wrong for someone. Not to mention that a lot of people won't
>> notice/ignore any changes here, as these definitions are "old enough" in
>> OSM terms. My approach: Stick to the wiki definitions even if you don't
>> like it and go on mapping :-)
>>

> We need to be able to say "a mistake has been made, these tags need revision"

This can probably be said for almost *any* OSM tag, as I know a lot of
tags somehow disputed by someone.

> and do something about mistakes.
> If we don't have a process for dealing with errors in tag choice and
> translation we will have a massive pile of junk data.

... and the four horsemen may appear soon ;-)

It will probably take much longer than necessary, but this pile of junk
data sorts out itself sooner or later. Drawback: Lot's of duplicate
work, lot's of annoyed mappers and I'm talking about years here.

But till today, no one came up with a good idea for such a process,
willing to spend the effort to implement it and - this is probably the
critical point - could convince a wide majority of mappers that
following his idea/process is a good thing.

Regards, ULFL