[Tagging] Dutch cafes (was: What's a power=station?)

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Tue Jan 19 15:45:03 GMT 2010

On 19/01/2010 15:34, Emilie Laffray wrote:

> 2010/1/19 David Earl <david at frankieandshadow.com
> <mailto:david at frankieandshadow.com>>
>
>     In the case of Dutch cafe though, the word has been usurped for a
>     purpose other than its original French meaning (which is pretty much
>     universal I think - French cafes and English cafes are different in
>     character, sure, but they are all restaurants with a limited menu and
>     emphasis on soft and hot drinks, pastries and cold food, maybe not open
>     in the evening),
>

> I would be hard pressed to eat at a cafe in France. It usually doesn't
> serve any food, and they have an emphasis on serving alcohol. I guess
> they are not the same after all.

Really? While some English cafes might serve meals, if you can call them
that, like "Egg and Chips", the French cafes I've been into would
typically serve coffee and pastries.

But put aside the distinction between soft drinks and alcohol, don't you
think there is something different in character between a bar and a cafe
in France, that causes the owner to *call* it one or the other (maybe
even only for marketing reasons of atmosphere, cachet or desired
clientèle than because of any fundamental difference in what it serves)?

David