[Tagging] What's a power=station?

Randy rwtnospam-newsgp at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 19 17:10:22 GMT 2010

Ben Laenen wrote:

>Steve Bennett wrote:
>This is really a non-issue. Just learn the definition as it has been
>written
>on the wiki for years instead of blindly following your definition of a
>certain word,

The problem with this approach is that every casual user of OSM data now
has to be an OSM language expert in order to decript the tags. When
English definitions are used for English words, the potential for
interpretation errors is significantly reduced. English is imprecise
enough without throwing in literal translations of non-English words.

I know there are good reasons why there should be exceptions. But, "That's
the way we've always done it" has never been a mantra I particularly
wanted to subscribe to.

As far as "blindly following" is concerned, I would agree with you. I
think that reasoned discussion, such as about half of this thread has
been, followed by appropriate changes to the wiki where indicated, are the
proper approach to maturing our somewhat chaotic teenager.

--
Randy