[Tagging] Dutch cafes (was: What's a power=station?)

Randy rwtnospam-newsgp at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 19 17:23:46 GMT 2010

Andre Engels wrote:

>On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 4:34 PM, Emilie Laffray
><emilie.laffray at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>2010/1/19 David Earl <david at frankieandshadow.com>
>>>
>>>In the case of Dutch cafe though, the word has been usurped for a
>>>purpose other than its original French meaning (which is pretty much
>>>universal I think - French cafes and English cafes are different in
>>>character, sure, but they are all restaurants with a limited menu and
>>>emphasis on soft and hot drinks, pastries and cold food, maybe not open
>>>in the evening),
>>
>>I would be hard pressed to eat at a cafe in France. It usually doesn't
>>serve
>>any food, and they have an emphasis on serving alcohol. I guess they are
>>not
>>the same after all.
>
>Hmmm... Then that's much closer to what I have called "cafe" after
>all. In fact, I have used "emphasis on serving alcohol" upto now as a
>sort of working definition for "bar". Maybe if the meaning of those
>words is so different, I should not worry about it at all...

In the US, I try to avoid using the word "cafe" altogether. There are many
establishments that call themselves cafes that are in fact restaurants.
Many don't serve anything alcoholic. The term tends more to indicate
casualness than anything else, it seems.

As I mentioned in my last post in the previous thread, English is
imprecise enough, without the additional complexity of literal
translations from other languages. Still, there are necessary exceptions
to restricting usage to English definitions.

It's a very beneficial process to have these kinds of discussions, as it
makes us all aware of the language differences so that we can modify or
avoid certain usage which confuses rather than enhances the overall OSM
database.

--
Randy