[Tagging] Dutch cafes (was: What's a power=station?)

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Tue Jan 19 17:43:19 GMT 2010

On 19/01/2010 17:23, Randy wrote:
> In the US, I try to avoid using the word "cafe" altogether. There are many
> establishments that call themselves cafes that are in fact restaurants.
> Many don't serve anything alcoholic. The term tends more to indicate
> casualness than anything else, it seems.

As something that has a common "look & feel" around the world, so we've
got a shorthand for a common experience, what would people call
Starbucks premises in their own languages, and what would you translate
that into English as?

In the UK, my inclination would be say "café" though there are others
who would no doubt disagree.

FWIW the OED defines café (with acute accent) as: "A coffee-house, a
restaurant; strictly a French term, but in the late 19th c. introduced
into the English-speaking countries for the name of a class of
restaurant." Which isn't very helpful. American Heritage dictionary says
"A coffeehouse, restaurant, or bar", no more so.

David