[Tagging] What's a power=station?

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Wed Jan 20 13:38:16 GMT 2010

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 3:36 AM, Liz <edodd at billiau.net> wrote:

> The Dutch cafe example is parallel to the motel / love_hotel example from
> Brazil and other countries. Sometimes a term has quite different uses in
> different cultures, and these are traps for all travellers. The question of
> whether the same tag has the same meaning wherever it is or whether meaning
> has to be gained from context, as we do now with traditional paper based
> maps,
> remains in discussion.

The other question is whether or not OSM wants to be a map or a travel
guide.  I'm liking more and more the suggestion to tag the cafe/motel with
building=yes and addr:*=*, and leave the rest to the travel guides and
yellow pages.  Perhaps power plants are big and recognizable enough to be an
exception to this rule, but when you have to go inside an establishment and
read their menu before you can determine how to tag the place, are we really
mapping "what's on the ground"?