[Tagging] What's a power=station?

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Wed Jan 20 15:45:00 GMT 2010

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 10:18 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer <
dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2010/1/20 Anthony <osm at inbox.org>
>
>> On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 9:55 AM, Peteris Krisjanis <pecisk at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> We map everything we can.
>>>

>> What in the world is that supposed to mean?  It's either untrue (as there
>> are plenty of things that can be mapped which aren't mapped) or begs the
>> question.
>>

> no, it's not untrue. It's simply not "finished" (nor will it ever be).

Then it begs the question, which is what we should be mapping *today*, not
at some indefinite point in the future (or, possibly, never at all).

>  I have data on the homeowner of every single family residence in
>> Hillsborough County.  Should I map that?
>>

> go and do it, and see what happens.

I'm not interested in doing it, as a map is not a good place to store such
information.  Phone book information belongs in a phone book, not a map.

> How about the phone numbers of every land-line in the United States?
>>

> Do you have the data as well? Or is this just rethorical?

I have it.  It's simply not "finished" (nor will it ever be).  ;)

> What evidence do you have for that?  What's "a lot of people"?  When you
>> say it's "one big reason", are you saying they wouldn't map at all were it
>> not for the ability to map what's being sold in a particular store?
>>

> keep it low. Everybody maps whatever she likes, and if she's not interested
> you will not be able to force her. You don't want to map POIs? Don't do it.

Fine with me, that's what I'm doing (*).  I also occasionally make a
suggestion that a map might not be the best place to store such
information.  I'm not trying to force anyone to do anything, just trying to
use reason.

(*) Sort of.  I do map POIs, and I have no problem with mapping POIs.  What
I think is silly and counter-productive is tagging those POIs with certain
details, like what the ratio of alcoholic beverage to food sales was last
year.