[Tagging] Dutch cafes

John F. Eldredge john at jfeldredge.com
Thu Jan 21 04:04:29 GMT 2010

Alan Mintz wrote:

> FWIW, my understanding of bar/pub/cafe in the US has been:

> cafe: Espresso/coffee drinks, soft drinks, baked goods, pre-packed food.

Starbucks, Coffee Bean, former Diedrichs, etc. are good examples.

This may be something that varies from region to region of the USA.  In my experience, in the southeast USA, what you describe above would probably be called a coffeehouse.  A cafe is more likely to be an informal restaurant, focusing on food rather than coffee.  While coffee will likely be on the menu, the only choices will likely be regular-vs.-decaffeinated, rather than anything fancier.  Also, a so-called cafe is less likely to have alcoholic beverages for sale than a so-called restaurant.

John F. Eldredge -- john at jfeldredge.com