[Tagging] Race track

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Sun Jan 31 00:25:18 GMT 2010

On 1/30/10 7:03 PM, Roy Wallace wrote:
> How would you map a race track i.e. the road/gravel surface, as an area?
>
> I'm not sure about 1) tags to use and 2) how to actually indicate the
> area, i.e. as it's a circuit, I'm guessing you'd need a multipolygon
> relation?

most auto racing tracks i'm familiar with can be mapped as one or more
ways, if multi configuration
then using relations to represent each configuration that's used and a
super relation for the aggregate
(e.g, there are 4 current possible configurations at Watkins Glen, plus
a number of historic
configurations that are no longer possible to use for racing. i haven't
looked at Watkins Glen with
an eye towards mapping it, someone may have done that already, but if i
were doing it that's how i
would go about it.)

i might use a polygon to then represent the containing property.

a surface tag would be indicated if you're mapping ovals, as in the US
small ovals frequently have
clay surfaces instead of pavement.

richard