[Tagging] Race track

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 02:22:25 GMT 2010

On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 11:34 AM, Roy Wallace <waldo000000 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sure, but what about mapping the way *as an area*, e.g. if you want to
> accurately trace over wide vs. narrow parts of the track? I remember
> this came up a little while ago in the context of "should all highways
> be mapped as areas", but I'm not sure if there were any tagging
> guidelines produced as an outcome of that... it is just a matter of
> adding area=yes?

Race tracks are probably well suited to mapping as areas rather than
simple highways, both because there's more to map (they're very wide,
but as you point out, vary in width a lot), but also because they
don't need to be routed on (pretty unlikely anyone is going to try and
navigate one with a gps).

In other words, mapping with area=yes will probably produce a better
result in renderers and a worse result in routers, and in this case,
that's probably a good thing.

> But the added complication with a race track is that it is usually a
> circuit, and thus needs a "hole" in the middle (hence why I'm thinking
> it would need a multipolygon relation...)

Yep. (Never tried it myself though)

Steve