[Tagging] Race track

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 12:43:56 GMT 2010

On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 10:30 PM, Roy Wallace <waldo000000 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I should probably ask at this point, is there a way to map a feature
> as a multipolygon *and* as ways, i.e. to allow the user to choose a
> representation as necessary? These would then need to be grouped with
> some other relation to indicate the two alternative representations
> refer to a common entity. I'm guessing this is too messy for anyone to
> have pursued yet...?

IMHO this is quite important to sort out. Areas are better for
rendering, highways are better for routing. That's basically an
inherent tradeoff, and asking people to choose one method over the
other will always prejudice one use of OSM data. Much better to allow
people to map both, and use a relation to explain to the end user
software that they represent the same thing, so the software can
decide which to use.

Steve