[Tagging] Race track

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 31 13:46:51 GMT 2010

On 31 January 2010 23:33, Dave F. <davefox at madasafish.com> wrote:
> This is already being done with rivers although they don't refer to a
> common entity (not sure they need to):

Apples and oranges, for those navigating water ways it's important to
know river way widths, it's not important to know road way widths as
several assumptions can be made based on the type of road, motorways
will always be wider than lane ways etc.

The same could be said about railways, railways can easily be mapped
out for each set of tracks, but the same isn't true for road ways,
they are some what more fluid, especially the roadways that have
dynamic lane changes based on time of day.

> Depends on what you want to use the data for. Remember the data is
> different from the different rendered maps.

Again, are we trying to make a map look photo realistic?

To me a map is a set of abstract ideas that express information about
reality that can't be seen from photo imagery. Mapping road widths can
be done by estimate based on a number of factors that are both vector
and meta information, I fail to see how presenting an area will
actually present any more information to a person. If they want such
information and if there is aerial imagery they can just switch tile
sets.

> Well, it already does get moved as more accurate sources are added, but
> to leave out that data because of this 'problem' is plainly ridiculous.

Most data is already left out, unless you essentially turn raster data
into raster daya and add as many points as possible there is always
data left out so that's a non-sense argument.

To counter balance this other information is added that others
consider to be as important, map data is a combination of both vector
and meta data to produce an overall picture of things.

> To keep relevance, a change in width of a track could be many metres &
> therefore should be mapped if possible.

If people are this hard up for things to map there is always Kosovo
and Australia for that matter, thanks to Nearmap we have a lot of high
res data now available and not enough people plotting out the roads
that need to be mapped.