[Tagging] Islands in Parking Lots

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Sun Jan 31 15:29:07 GMT 2010

On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 10:23 AM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 1 February 2010 01:21, Anthony <osm at inbox.org> wrote:
> > What tag should we use for places that people can park?
>
> I've seen areas tagged amenity=parking and have additional tags for
> the number of disabled parking bays...

That doesn't provide routing information.  Navigation is one of the primary
uses I see for this data, and "land set aside for parking purposes" doesn't
cut it in providing that information.

I suppose the fact that the tag uses "amenity" and not "highway" leans
toward the a) interpretation rather than the b) one, though.  Maybe the tag
for places that people can park (and can, but probably shouldn't, drive) can
be tagged with highway=parking, area=yes?