[Tagging] Islands in Parking Lots

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Sun Jan 31 21:11:11 GMT 2010

On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 2:47 PM, Roy Wallace <waldo000000 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 1:21 AM, Anthony <osm at inbox.org> wrote:
> >
> > What tag should we use for places that people can park?
>
> If you literally mean "place that people can park", this is verging on
> unverifiable (e.g. "well *I* think I can park there...")
>
> On the other hand, a "parking bay" (i.e. marked with lines) is fine if
> you want to tag the little rectangles of concrete - I'm not sure on a
> tag though.

Well, I was using your terminology.
http://maps.google.com/?ll=28.089529,-82.507252&spn=0.000721,0.001155&z=20doesn't
have any lines, but I'd refer to it as a "parking area".

It's in OSM as
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=28.089546&lon=-82.506839&zoom=18&layers=B000FTF

It's "unverifiable" in the same way any unofficial highway on private land
is "unverifiable" (and as much as what constitutes a "parking area" is
unverifiable).  I don't think it poses much of a problem in practice.

I think the analogy with highway=pedestrian is a good one.  Maybe
highway=service, service=parking, area=yes.