[Tagging] football or soccer ?

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 09:29:31 BST 2010

On 1 July 2010 18:23, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:
> nobody will ever need more than 640 kB of RAM ;-)

I assume you are talking about how Yahoo generates WOEs, but I'd love
to see anyone that can exceed the capacity of UUIDs :)

> sure, there could be ways, but actually I don't see the benefit. I

As I said in the email, I don't think this is a good way to do things,
I was just pointing out it could be done.

> think it's cool that most tags are understandable directly in the xml
> without the need for any translation tables.

The words might not need translation if you can read english fluently,
but without the wiki a lot of tags would be ambiguous depending on
your background. The wiki gives a lot more context you can't get just
by reading raw values.

> hm, I don't believe this, It could be programmed, but unless you know
> which number stands for what, this seems to facilitate errors quite a
> bit. You could then retranscribe the numbers in the editor into
> understandable language for the mapper, but hey, wouldn't that result
> in a similar system we already have? Why should then be less
> discussion about single words?

That was the point that was made, the term soccer would almost never
been seen by most end users so this shouldn't really be an issue.

> we already do this with presets, and I don't like the concept either
> ;-), I'm using the english JOSM version because of this. Part of the
> "problem" in this thread derives exactly from this (soccer vs
> football).

You disagree with the translation someone else made, it doesn't
necessarily mean it's a bad way to do it.