[Tagging] football or soccer ?

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Thu Jul 1 17:40:03 BST 2010

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 12:01 PM, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com
> wrote:

> 2010/7/1 Anthony <osm at inbox.org>:
>
> > The benefit is precisely the removal of the thing you find cool.  People
> > won't think they understand a key/value simply because they see the name
> of
> > the tag.
>
> I see your point and it is valid sometimes, but often it is not. E.g.
> amenity=post_box or oneway=yes. Or landuse=residential. Or
> leisure=park. Or amenity=drinking_water. Or amenity=telephone. Or or
> or.
>
> Most of our tags are not disputed.

Yeah, that's the argument on the other side.  And it probably outweighs the
argument for using numbers.

The thing is, the use of numbers is really two ideas rolled into one.  One
half of the idea is to use numbers instead of words.  But the other half is
to make the creation of new values a two-step process (generate a new
number, use that number).  I think there's much more merit to the second
half of the idea than the first.  OTOH, that's also the more dramatic change
from the status quo.