[Tagging] Tagging churches that use non-church buildings.

Mark Pulley mrpulley at lizzy.com.au
Mon Jul 5 09:51:25 BST 2010

I'm was planning to add a church to OSM - the only problem is that the
church doesn't have its own building, but rather uses a school hall.
I've asked the Australian mailing list for ideas, but I thought I
should ask here if anyone here has any tips or has come across a
similar problem.

The church has used the school hall for about 10 years. I know of a
few other churches in Australia that use other facilities like halls
rather than using their own building. Presumably it happens in other
countries, also this may be relevant for other buildings with multiple
uses.

The school is currently marked with a way surrounding the grounds. I
am planning to add the buildings. The church meets in the hall that is
in one of the buildings (not the complete building).

The options so far suggested at talk-AU are:

- don't tag at all (are we marking 'buildings with pointy roofs' or
'building that congregation meets in?)

- add a node for amenity=place_of_worship inside the relevant
building, with note=church meets in school hall (this is my preferred
option but I'm not sure if there's a better way to tag it)

- use amenity=school;place_of_worship over the building

- use a relation for the church over the building outline and a
separate relation for the school for all the buildings (I'm not keen
on this one as the amenity=school is already used for the school
boundary).

- amenity=school , place_of_worship=yes (again I'm not keen on this one)

The church is located here:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=-33.42085&mlon=149.57153&zoom=17

If anyone has any ideas, please let me/the list know. Thanks.

Mark P.