[Tagging] Tagging churches that use non-church buildings.

Martin Simon grenzdebil at gmail.com
Mon Jul 5 12:43:23 BST 2010

2010/7/5 Mark Pulley <mrpulley at lizzy.com.au>:
> I'm was planning to add a church to OSM - the only problem is that the
> church doesn't have its own building, but rather uses a school hall. I've
> asked the Australian mailing list for ideas, but I thought I should ask here
> if anyone here has any tips or has come across a similar problem.
>
> The church has used the school hall for about 10 years. I know of a few
> other churches in Australia that use other facilities like halls rather than
> using their own building. Presumably it happens in other countries, also
> this may be relevant for other buildings with multiple uses.
>
> The school is currently marked with a way surrounding the grounds. I am
> planning to add the buildings. The church meets in the hall that is in one
> of the buildings (not the complete building).
>
> The options so far suggested at talk-AU are:
>
> - don't tag at all (are we marking 'buildings with pointy roofs' or
> 'building that congregation meets in?)
>
> - add a node for amenity=place_of_worship inside the relevant building, with
> note=church meets in school hall (this is my preferred option but I'm not
> sure if there's a better way to tag it)
>
> - use amenity=school;place_of_worship over the building
>
> - use a relation for the church over the building outline and a separate
> relation for the school for all the buildings (I'm not keen on this one as
> the amenity=school is already used for the school boundary).
>
> - amenity=school , place_of_worship=yes (again I'm not keen on this one)
>
> The church is located here:
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?mlat=-33.42085&mlon=149.57153&zoom=17
>
> If anyone has any ideas, please let me/the list know. Thanks.

I'd tag the school area with amenity=school and the hall with
building=school_hall & amenity=place_of_worship.
This allows you to keep building type and function seperate.

As "amenity=place_of_worship" doesn't mean "church", but rather
"religious place", I also tag "normal churches" as building=church &
amenity=place_of_worship.

-Martin