[Tagging] Zone 30 (maxspeed)

Ulf Lamping ulf.lamping at googlemail.com
Tue Jul 6 20:02:16 BST 2010

Am 06.07.2010 20:38, schrieb Colin Smale:
> On 06/07/2010 18:44, Richard Mann wrote:
>> I'm not really clear what is the value of tagging a "zone", except in
>> a note. Why not just use the standard maxspeed tag?
>
> +1
>
> Here in NL it warns you that the given road sign (could be maxspeed,
> could be some other restriction) is valid "until further notice" i.e.
> until you leave the Zone. Without the Zone indication the restrictions
> lose their official validity at the next junction, which leads to speed
> limits etc. having to be repeated very frequently. So it is really only
> a shorthand notation to save money on signs and to reduce the clutter of
> street furniture. The default speed limit in built-up areas is 50kph so
> that actually rarely needs to be signed at all. But to make an area
> limited to 20kph means it has to be signed explicitly.
>
> It sure would make life easier if you could just draw a (temporary)
> polygon and get Potlatch to set maxspeed=20 on all enclosed roads though...

Well, no. Two different things here:

a) What's the actual maxspeed value
b) What's the cause of the actual maxspeed value

Wether b) needs to be tagged or not is a matter of personal opinion -
further discussions on this are therefore pretty much pointless ...

It was a long and hard discussion on talk-de that b shouldn't be
replacing a altogether - I'm personally very glad that this concensus
was made.

If someone want's to specially tag b), I don't see a reason not let him
do it that way. I'm not doing it but it won't harm anyone and will save
us from ongoing discussions if we want to tag the actual value OR the
inherent cause of it (sign, zone, ...).

Regards, ULFL