[Tagging] Greenery adjacent to roads

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 02:05:45 BST 2010

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 4:37 PM,  <charlie at cferrero.net> wrote:
> How might I go about tagging the often quite extensive green stretches of
> land to the side of larger roads here in Abu Dhabi (and indeed in many parts
> of the world)?  Sometimes this is just grass (in which case landuse=grass
> kind of makes sense) but often this is a mixture of grass, trees and
> decorative plants in varying proportions.  In many cases it kind of looks
> like a park, but no-one in their right mind would actually try to use it as
> such (and indeed, in central reservations they'd have to be suicidal to
> try).
>
> One idea might be:
> leisure=garden or leisure=park combined with access=no
> but this seems a bit like tag gymnastics to me.

This is a perennial question. Limitations with existing responses:
surface=grass: yes, but this is missing the point. That's like
describing a building as surface=brick. Would we use a different tag
for the brief sections that are garden, or tan bark, or concrete or
whatever?
landuse=grass: sounds very much like a placeholder. "I'm not sure what
this land is used for, it's used for...grass".
leisure=garden: sure, it looks like a garden, but it's not intended
for anyone to visit.

The right tag would involve a concept like "roadside vegetation",
"nature strip", "council-maintained lawn" or something similar.

Steve