[Tagging] Greenery adjacent to roads

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 14 06:03:58 BST 2010

On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 12:09 AM, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 14, 2010 at 1:59 PM, Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> It probably doesn't render at all currently, but if it's used more
>> (I've used it for large expanses of roadway at toll booths where
>> highway=motorway area=yes is inappropriate because traffic flow is
>> controlled) it can be added to the rendering rules. landuse=railway is
>> a similar tag (used mostly for railyards) that renders just like
>> landuse=industrial on Mapnik.
>
> Oh, that sounds slightly different than I understood. So there the
> landuse=highway/railway is for the areas that actually are asphalt or
> railway (ie, sleepers and rails), rather than the surrounding area
> (grass, concrete, garden...)?

I've used it for the entire area used for railway purposes:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=41.75387&lon=-87.67841&zoom=17&layers=B000FTF

On the other hand, I've used landuse=highway just for the paved area,
but this could easily be changed at this point, with existing uses
changed to surface=paved.