[Tagging] paved=yes/no

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 05:50:43 BST 2010

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 8:43 AM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com> wrote:
> That was what I was trying to figure out, is there a good reason for
> such a tag, or is it going to just confuse people.

IMHO yes it's useful, because the paved/unpaved distinction is by far
the most important one for roads. The problem is that surface=* is an
unbounded list, so renderers potentially have to support surface=dirt,
gravel, cobblestone, mud, cracked_concrete, rough, and whatever else
peoples' fertile imaginations come up with.

Having multiple layers of tags (ie, paved=no, surface=dirt) is much
more re-use friendly.

Steve