[Tagging] Bridges and layers

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Mon Jul 26 23:42:35 BST 2010

  On 26/07/2010 22:10, Richard Mann wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 7:17 PM, Cartinus<cartinus at xs4all.nl>  wrote:
>> Yes, but human mapping time is a far more scarce resource then computer
>> working time. So let the computer fix it. Preprocess!
> Computer working time is rarely the limiting resource (otherwise we'd
> all have been out of a job long ago).
>
> The advantage of creating a tagging scheme is that the complicated
> situations get sorted out by humans (who are good at that sort of
> thing), and not left to doing-their-best-with-confused-data
> programmers.

The data's hunky dory.

> I note that no-one (other than Colin) has suggested a different tagging scheme.

Well speaking personally:
1. I'm still trying to fully understand what you're proposing.
2. Wondering whether it really is a problem. (can't you work out the
adjoining ways to ones that are tagged layer=*? They would have the same
start or end point or intersect)
3. Could you not mitre the line ends?

4. On consideration I still thinks it's a failing in the rendering
software & should be fixed by the renders. When I first joined in with
OSM I asked why this & that hadn't been done. The reply was, yes it can
be done, why don't you get on and do it; which I think was a reasonable
response. OSM is a do-it-yourself, self contribution project.
To expect others to use their time instead of yours is a bit arrogant.
I'm not convinced that the time spent splitting ways & adding news tags
to them at *every* way with layer=* is economical.

Oh & also many are still asleep on the other side of the world.

Cheers
Dave F.