[Tagging] emergency=*

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Thu Jul 29 20:16:47 BST 2010

John Smith wrote:
> On 30 July 2010 04:36, Tobias Knerr <osm at tobias-knerr.de> wrote:
[...]
>> stuff like this in amenity, that way we just need to know the value to
>> tag it. "amenity" is the default key for features like this anyway.
>
> Which also means the amenity name space is pretty crammed full of
> disparate tags that can't easily be grouped or rendered unless you
> have a specific configuration.

It's true that choosing a common key "emergency" makes it easier if you
want to treat police stations and hospitals the same way in an
application. But if you want to treat doctors and hospitals the same
way, then it's pretty useless.

Before you suggest that we should go with "medical" then, which that
happens to address the second categorization:

There is no single appropriate categorization for all purposes.
Therefore, categorization of features is a renderer decision and
shouldn't be hardcoded into tagging.

Tobias Knerr