[Tagging] Builders' Merchants -> Timber Merchant

ael law_ence.dev at ntlworld.com
Fri Jul 30 07:03:16 BST 2010

On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 10:56:51PM +1000, Steve Bennett wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 9:13 PM, pavithran <pavithran.s at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I like the trade=* but why call it shop=trade . I doesnt sound good .
> > Is there a restrictions on 'keys' can't there be a key called 'trade'
>
> The benefit of shop=* is that renderers can use a generic shop icon.
>
> My suggestion:
>
> shop=trade_supplies
> timber=yes
> concrete=yes
> soil=yes
>
> (much akin to amenity=fuel, octane91=yes, etc)

Many of these places sell a very wide range of goods, so something like
building_supplies is sufficiently general to cover such cases.
Individual tags for every line would not be feasible, even if the
average mapper could get the information, and it was stable over time.

So I would be against that micro, or rather nano, mapping :-)

ael