[Tagging] [OSM-talk] emergency=*

Mike N. niceman at att.net
Fri Jul 30 13:18:10 BST 2010

> I thought most smart phone apps would mostly view map tiles, either
> OSM or Cloudmade?

   There are several apps now for the iPhone which also search POIs.   Some
examples:
    -JOSM allows tagging whether banks include an ATM - I select this when
the ATM is attached to the building or inside the lobby.    None of the apps
I tried show these ATMs in a search for "ATMs".
  -  A search for ATMs shows a list of "ATM" in the search result - that's
literal because the search is showing name= , which doesn't exist because
JOSM only accepts operator= when tagging ATMs.   Therefore as an end user,
you don't even have a brand name to look for.

> Although that seems to indicate it's a good idea to categorise things
> a little better, so that the apps or what ever don't need to know or
> care about everything in the category, as is the case with the
> amenity=* tags.

   In the end, any good data consumer needs to get 'down and dirty' into the
wiki and OSM tags to be effective.  Just the restaurant category  is
awkward - most people looking to eat just want an option to see all eating
establishments within walking distance.   Because tagging is so subjective,
there needs to be an option to combine
   amenity=restaurant
   amenity=fast_food
   amenity=café

 , any of which could also serve food  while excluding all other amentity= .
I don't see any value in creating a category of eatery= just to make the
query simpler.