[Tagging] ID Permanence

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 16:37:39 BST 2010

On 4 June 2010 01:30, Tyler Gunn <tyler at egunn.com> wrote:
> I am, however, curious what use you are envisioning for this UUID data?
> Are you thinking of external sites that would want to reference OSM data
> directly?

External sites such as Flickr already use OSM IDs, which could be bad
when the internal reference is deleted, Flickr may drop the reference
as no longer being valid and OSM may look bad for showing a deleted
location instead of what the user was expecting.

Other examples include osmfuel.org and wikipedia, although these are
just the ones I know of and wikipedia/flickr are just the highest
profile sites.