[Tagging] [OSM-talk] Tagging "wide" steps (tribune / terrace)

M∡rtin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Jun 9 01:00:31 BST 2010

2010/6/9 Roy Wallace <waldo000000 at gmail.com>:
> So just to summarise, you would have a relation:
> type=area
> highway=steps
> step_count=15 (already documented on the wiki)
>
> with way members:
> role=lower,
> role=upper, and two
> role=lateral (I don't think these values need to be prefixed with steps:)

that's fine, I copied it to the area relation page.

> Parallel probably
> isn't the right word, at is usually won't be possible - some fancy
> maths and approximation would be necessary to render the individual
> steps properly, in most cases.

sure, but I guess that's not a big problem, the ways should ideally
have the same amount of nodes (and run more or less into the same
direction), then you simply create pairs and divide them into the
amount of steps minus 1 and connect all these nodes into new virtual
ways.

The problem arises as soon, as the different steps are not "regular",
they could be undulating or otherwise have varying distances. In these
cases you could map all of the lines, what makes lower/upper look not
good enough any more. What about using ascending numbers?
the proposed roles for the ways would be

0 for the lowest way
1 is at higher elevation than 0
2
3