[Tagging] [education] tag insttitute

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 04:17:18 BST 2010

On 15 June 2010 13:04, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:
> College means about fifty different things in different schools.
> ("University" in the US, "part of a university" in UK, "place students
> live" in Australia, "secondary school" also in Australia...

The Australia bit, it's usually "residential college" not just
college, what was known as colleges in Australia became TAFE, as for
the US they have community colleges, and while they may refer
informally to universities as college or school the universities have
the word university in the name, most of the time.

eg PSU (Penn State University), or EMU (Eastern Michigan University)
although the americans pronouce this as e-moo, same with the aussie
bird, even though aussies pronounce them as emm-you

As always there are exceptions, such as MIT... which I can't be
bothered to look up how it fits into this picture...