[Tagging] Aeroway=Aerodrome Modifier Tags?

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 07:05:47 BST 2010

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 1:49 PM, John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 15 June 2010 13:33, Zeke Farwell <ezekielf at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Steve,
>> I like this as a possible solution as well.  Perhaps the admin_level tag
>> could be used?  Same as for boundaries.  The challenges in my eyes are not
>> making the tagging scheme overly complicated, and making if verifiable based
>> on physical characteristics.  In my opinion OSM only needs three levels max,
>> and maybe two would do it.
>
> so to avoid naming confusion you could do...
>
> aerodrome=major
> aerodrome=minor
> aerodrome=small

I can't see any benefit in using words to describe what is essentially
a numeric scale. Again, issues with connotation: "What do you mean, X
isn't 'major'" - it's different to, "What do you mean, X isn't 4 out
of 5"? Having to re-define ordinary English words sucks.

While 3 levels might be enough currently, it might also be better to
leave room for more levels. Perhaps make it a scale out of 10, with
only numbers 3, 5 and 7 used at the moment.

Btw don't forget that on certain render styles, the levels at which
stuff appear will be totally different: public transport maps, air
traffic maps, military maps...

Steve