[Tagging] Aeroway=Aerodrome Modifier Tags?

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 07:12:06 BST 2010

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 3:17 PM, Stephen Hope <slhope at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think this concept is important.  People can come up with all sorts
> of algorithms for ranking things according to all sorts of rules, and
> none of them will work on every occasion.  We need some explicit
> method of hinting to a renderer that a certain object is more or less
> important than it might otherwise appear. Or that this one of the six
> or seven nearly identical objects in a certain area is the one that
> should be rendered if you don't have room to label them all.  The
> renderer can always ignore the hint if it likes.

I agree. Perhaps more importantly, the more hints like this that are
in the database, the less workload on future renderers (and their
developers). It's very easy to simply render or not render based on an
importance hint, rather than trying to apply the latest rule involving
air traffic, runways, blah blah, that the community came up with this
week.

(Which means better, more interesting reuse of data).

Steve