[Tagging] What classification for a connecting link?

Richard Mann richard.mann.westoxford at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 18 13:04:42 BST 2010

Trac: about half a dozen already, all saying slightly different
things. There's one situation I hadn't thought of: motorway service
areas attached to motorway slip roads.

Where I'm getting to is:
1) Except for links between motorways and other roads (which should be
motorway_link), the connections between highways of different
classification should correspond to the classification of the lower
road. I don't think it's actually possible to make it work if you use
the classification of the higher road (which is why we've ended up in
a bit of a mess)

2) Rendering order should ordinarily be (within a given layer):
trunk
trunk_link
primary
primary_link
secondary
secondary_link
tertiary
tertiary_link
unclassified/residential/pedestrian/living_street
motorway
motorway_link
service/track/cycleway/footway/bridleway

At the moment, I think Mapnik puts all links at the bottom, which doesn't work.

Richard