[Tagging] Builders' Merchants -> Timber Merchant

Claudius Henrichs claudius.h at gmx.de
Thu Jun 24 12:11:50 BST 2010

Am 24.06.2010 10:42, ael:
> Again  in the UK, we have a distinct sort of "outlet" which supplies
> timber. These are generally known as timber merchants and the places
> where they operate are sometimes called timber yards.
>
> These are usually large areas with associated buildings housing
> substantial mechanised saws. They are not generally saw mills
> in the sense that they do not normally handle whole trees. Rather they
> buy in large pieces of wood and cut and process them to order, although
> they will generally keep a stock of the commonly needed sizes.
>
> I saw a timber_mill tag mentioned in the wiki but that didn't seem to
> be the same thing.
>
> So while we are on _Merchant, how should timer merchants be tagged?
> Would shop=timber-yard be easily understood and useful?

Didn't it spring to your mind that with those two related tags in a
short time it might be even worth considering introducing subtags?
Something like:

shop = supplies
supplies = timber/concrete/building

Haven't thought this through and I'm sure you will come up with
something better. But I'd prefer subtags for closely related shops
instead of individual tags for all shades of related things.
Claudius