[Tagging] football or soccer ?

pavithran pavithran.s at gmail.com
Sun Jun 27 12:33:05 BST 2010

Hi,
I was very much surprised that a football ( the ball kicked by foot)
which I tagged has shown a different ball in osmarendering .  It is
showing a ball used by american football .

Some of the IRC discussion I had said that its 'ambiguous' though I
don't agree to the ambiguous property because even americans play for
FIFA where the F means Football !

But showing up a American football for places tagged with football is
really suprising .
How do we tag football ?
I was suggested to use sport=soccer for football while sport=football
for american football ! I really felt so alien :(

Some interesting things I found were  :
"Of the 45 national FIFA (Fédération Internationale de Football
Association) affiliates in which English is an official or primary
language, 43 use football in their organizations' official names (only
Canada and United States use soccer). "
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_(word)

As a worldwide project which name should we prefer ?

Regards,
Pavithran

--
pavithran sakamuri