[Tagging] football or soccer ?

Peteris Krisjanis pecisk at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 11:14:36 BST 2010

> I would be confident in sport=soccer at some point resulting in large
> amounts of vandalism to OSM.
>
> So I suggest, football=association_football

So there are two suggestions:
1) current one, avoid using sport = football and use
sport=soccer,rugby,etc. (sorry, but I don't buy insult argument,
soccer as word is in all dictionaries and everyone uses it. Also tags
aren't meant to be seen, so I don't think anyone will notice it)
2) second one, use sport=football to generalize group of sports and
then specify sport=american_football or sport=association_football

Or there could be third way - just propose sport=association_football
as alias of sport=soccer and use it from now on. I think this would be
best way to deal with it.

Cheers,
Peter.