[Tagging] football or soccer ?

Vincent Pottier vpottier at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 11:42:57 BST 2010

Le 28/06/2010 10:42, M∡rtin Koppenhoefer a écrit :
> 2010/6/28 Jason Cunningham<jamicuosm at googlemail.com>:
>
>> Yes, the wiki needs to be changed to tell people not to use the insulting
>> word 'soccer', especially as we try to use British English to stop tags
>> getting confusing.
>>

> -1, no the wiki is documenting the actual usage of tags, it is not an
> authority to change the common usage of tags, but to document it. As
> you can see by numbers "soccer" is outreaching "football" by factor
> 12. Changing the wiki would actually be an insult against the users
> that map how the consensus is (was?).
>
> cheers,
> Martin

The wiki is documenting the use of the JOSM presets.

If the presets gave "football_association", the number of
"football_association" would have been far above from "soccer",
"football"...

The discussion is finaly : what to put in the JOSM preset.

I just drew a square. I have selected "Pré-réglages > Sports > Sports de
balle > football" and the tag I hhave got is "sport=soccer"

I have drawn an other square. I have selected "Pré-réglages > Sports >
Sports de balle > footlball américain". And I have got the tag
"sport=football"

So the actual usage is highly the result of the way the JOSM presets are
done. Is it an authority to decide the presets in JOSM ?
--
FrViPofm