[Tagging] football or soccer ?

Steve Doerr steve.doerr at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Jun 28 18:26:49 BST 2010

"pavithran" <pavithran.s at gmail.com> wrote in
message news:AANLkTil1Pa646Nl5-5B3qefO00wZG1W8WIyXinfwI4Tx at mail.gmail.com...

> Some of the IRC discussion I had said that its 'ambiguous' though I
> don't agree to the ambiguous property because even americans play for
> FIFA where the F means Football

Spurious argument: the A also stands for 'Association'. In other words, the
sport is described in FIFA's name as 'football association', i.e. (in
English) 'association football'.

For myself, as a Brit, I have no objection to 'soccer', which was sometimes
used for 'football' in my youth, and which now seems to be disparaged purely
because it's perceived as American usage. But I do object to the equation of
'football' with American football.

How about hierarchical tagging? E.g.:

sport=football
football=american|association|australian_rules|rugby_league|rugby_union

or even

sport=football
football=rugby
rugby=union|league