[Tagging] football or soccer ?

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Tue Jun 29 00:32:43 BST 2010

On 6/28/10 6:47 PM, John Smith wrote:
> On 29 June 2010 08:36, Jason Cunningham<jamicuosm at googlemail.com>  wrote:
>
>> Gridiron? I didn't know the there were so many versions of football in North
>> America
>>
> This shouldn't be surprising since 4 codes of "football" in Australia
> came from the UK/Ireland, Soccer, Rugby League/Union and Touch
> Football was derived from Rugby League, and a 5th (Aussie Rules) most
> likely has some kind of Irish roots...

as a practical matter (mapping football fields), there are only two
relevant ones
in the North America: outdoor fields of 100 yards in length (US college
& pro
games, outdoors), and outdoor fields of 110 yards in length (Canadian). and
i see no compelling reason why we really need to distinguish between the
two.
in reviewing the 9/8/6 man football pages, i don't see much need to
distinguish
those either. maybe length/width tags indicating the size of the field,
but no
more than that. some (many?) of these fields get used for both north
american
football and soccer (no insult to UK football fans intended.)

thinking on it, the potential maxlength and maxwidth values are probably
interesting, as they indicate what games might be played on the surface.
if it's big enough for both american football and soccer, then the only real
differences are the lines on the field and nature of the goal.

the arena variants are all played in large indoor multipurpose arenas, and
thus probably don't deserve to be specifically tagged. the floor used for
Arena football one night may be used for basketball, hockey, the circus,
and ice show or a rock show on another night.

the other variants, touch, flag, etc., are all pickup games that can get
played on any grassy field. no tagging here.

richard