[Tagging] football or soccer ?

pavithran pavithran.s at gmail.com
Tue Jun 29 12:31:25 BST 2010

On 28 June 2010 15:24, John Smith <deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com> wrote:
> And then add a page for sport=football and just football pointing to
> all the different sports named football by various people in the
> world.

Yes .
So the wiki page suggests these tags .
sport=soccer (see on wikipedia, aka Association Football)
sport=rugby_league
sport=rugby_union
sport=australian_football
sport=american_football
sport=gaelic_football

Still there is a problem in many non native english countries
understanding the term soccer where mostly the temptation would be to
tag it with something simply and widely understood as 'football' . So
no other choice but to use the term 'soccer' .

Anyways on the rendering side. Mapnik doesn't even render football
(maybe because it wants the map to be neat)
Osmarender still renders sport=football with that egg shaped icon .
This is due to

                <rule e="node" k="sport" v="football">
                        <symbol ref="football" position="center"/>
</rule>

The above code is located at
http://trac.openstreetmap.org/browser/applications/rendering/osmarender/stylesheets/osm-map-features-z17.xml
 line: 3494

Where the symbol football is
http://trac.openstreetmap.org/browser/applications/rendering/osmarender/stylesheets/symbols/football.svg

I am not sure if people would like rendering sport=football as egg
shaped ball or round football or none hence didnt dare propose a
patch(remove 3 lines) :D

Regards,
Pavithran

--