[Tagging] football or soccer ?

Craig Wallace craigw84 at fastmail.fm
Tue Jun 29 16:55:10 BST 2010

On 29/06/2010 16:40, Jason Cunningham wrote:
> And I'm about to edit it back to sport=association_football.....
>
> The use of soccer should never have crept in to OSM. I've made it clear
> that I think the use of soccer will be very controversial in the UK. I
> could never participate in a project that labelled my teams football
> ground as sport=soccer. A vast number of British 'football' supporters
> will feel far stronger about this than me, and I believe it would lead
> to a serious and continuous vandalism of OSM.

This is quite simply nonsense, to put it politely. The majority of
"British" football fans don't really care about this. Soccer may be seen
as an Americanism, but not insulting at all. I think "association
football" is more likely to be seen as an old fashioned and upper class
term.
You are the only one in this thread to claim that "soccer" is insulting.
Please cite some sources for this "vast number" that will feel strongly
about this.

And the word "soccer" won't actually displayed anywhere anyway, except
in particular renderings.
So I don't see how thousands of football supporters are actually going
to see the sport=soccer tag at all, unless they are editing the map. And
you could translate / localize the editor to en_GB if you want...

Craig