[Tagging] football or soccer ?

Jason Cunningham jamicuosm at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 30 01:17:57 BST 2010

On 29 June 2010 22:04, Liz <edodd at billiau.net> wrote:

> I was born in working class England, and never heard it "association
> football". I knew football, and I did know that it really was called
> soccer. I
> didn't actually meet rugby as a sport until coming to Australia.

Association Football may be the official name but its never used due to most
people just saying 'football'. Having grown up in a working class are of
Manchester I never heard Association Football commonly used, but any genuine
football supporter new Association Football was the official correct name.
Soocer was only used by people who had gone to fee paying schools and played
ruby union.

And what do you think of Paivthran's ongoing concern with the rendering of
> the
> wrong ball in osmarender?

This has been almost dealt with. Leaving aside the long debate on use of
soccer, we've more or less agreed that a sport=football tag is a bad idea.
What appears in a map is rendering issue, not a taging issue. John Smith has
added a 'ticket' but I haven't a clue if that is the process to fix this
problem. My view is that sport=football should not be rendered.

As for my views on soccer in the UK, I clearly have to demonstrate British
Football Stadiums should not be tagged sport=soccer. Several ways of doing
that, but I have to find one that will cause no damage to OSM

Jason