[Tagging] football or soccer ?

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Wed Jun 30 19:41:41 BST 2010

On Wed, Jun 30, 2010 at 11:53 AM, Simone Saviolo
<simone.saviolo at gmail.com>wrote:

> Well, if we really wanted to do that, it would suffice to have
> meta-tags. Each tag would have an UID, and applications could
> associate UIDs to human-readable strings, maybe even with
> localization. Not that I advocate this.

Without changing any API code, relations could be used.

In any case, it's something OSM desperately needs.  Repeating
amenity=fast_food, operator=McDonald's, cuisine=burger 14,000 times is
insane.  See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Database_normalization#Objectives_of_normalization