[Tagging] [OSM-talk] [tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - (amenity=ice_cream)

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon Mar 15 01:25:51 GMT 2010

2010/3/10 Giacomo Boschi <gwilbor at email.it>:
> Greg Troxel ha scritto:
>
>  > amenity=fast_food has a lot of baggage.  In the US, that means
>  > factory-produced not-really-food of mediocre quality that is fast and
>  > consistent.  A family ice cream shop is definitely not fast food even if
>  > they can serve ice cream rapidly.
>
> It seems one of those cases where everyone has his own definition...
> according to the wiki, fast food has a different meaning. Maybe if the
> community agrees on the definition of the already existing map features
> wouldn't be so hard to develop the new ones.

The thing is that those wiki definitions are often intended for a
native speaking audience and the writers assumed, that the conotations
were clear and had not to be specified. Standing as such those
definitions are therefore in many cases quite lousy and incomplete.
The fast food -definition is IMHO an example of this (and the fact
that someone felt the need to have an example (McDonald's) underlines
this).

Even if under some aspects ice cream can be defined as fast food I
wouldn't tag it in this "main" class: if you are looking for fast_food
(without specifying the cuisine subtag) you wouldn't want to find ice
cream (e.g. to go for lunch).

As main class for ice cream I'd put "sweet food" instead of "fast food".

cheers,
Martin