[Tagging] linear vs area roundabout

Erik Johansson erjohan at gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 11:08:04 GMT 2010

On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 6:47 AM, Mikel Maron <mikel_maron at yahoo.com> wrote:
> [...]

If something renders as an area in Mapnik then it's an area;
building=*, natural=water  and leisure=park are such tags. Tags which
are not areas by default can be made areas by adding an area=yes,
example highway=pedestrian needs to be tagged as an area to render as
such.

Areas:
leisure=park
highway=pedestrian; area=yes; name=Plaza Central

Not areas:
highway=pedestrian; name=Central Street

> For example “junction=roundabout”
> (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:junction%3Droundabout) seems to a
> linear feature even though the way is “closed” – loops back on itself.  The
> previous link lists the feature as linear vs. the table at
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Map_Features#Highway indicating that the
> feature can be both linear and polygonal.
>
> A similar situation arises from “highway=platform” which could be all three
> type (according to the table at
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Map_Features#Highway)

I can not comment on these without testing how mapnik handles them,
but the same principal should apply just add area=yes and make it an
area, not sure if area=no is used at al.