[Tagging] [josm-dev] self-intersecting ways

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Fri Mar 26 14:22:31 GMT 2010

2010/3/26 Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org>:
> I think we've heard all possible sides of this argument. You have three
>
> 1. Draw areas using same nodes as road - wrong because it suggests the
> area is larger than it really is.

good for the database because you need less nodes.

> 2. Let areas end a few metres away from road - wrong because it suggests
> that there is something in between the road and the area when in fact
> there is nothing.

no, there is in many cases "something" between the road (asphalt) and
the adjacent areas. There are ditches, fences, shrubs, walls. Even if
you look at roads in forests there will be a perimeter where there are
no trees but neither there is road.

> 3. Draw roads as areas, either re-using the nodes of the adjoining
> landuse areas or using a multipolygon relation for landuse areas and
> road area (so they can share the border way which would remain
> untagged). Wrong because it defeats routing and puzzles newcomers.

This is not "wrong" in a mapping sense but maybe creates difficulties
and problems for people that supposedly can't manage it ("newcomers").
That's a big difference. Btw: If you decide to map overlapping
landuses instead of multipolygon-relations you can lower the hurdle
for beginners.

> Now that we have that settled, can we continue? ;-)

+1

cheers,
Martin

PS: Sorry for having this discussion in Josm-dev