[Tagging] [Talk-us] plea for bot quality control

Chris Hunter chunter952 at gmail.com
Sun May 2 16:06:43 BST 2010

Perhaps a bot to auto-ban accounts that are running unauthorized bots ;)

Seriously though, I've all-but stopped contributing to the map until after
the SOTMs because of issues like this.

One of the other things that OSM desperately needs is a way to coordinate
tagging across editors and renderers.  Yes I know that the traditional
answer is "tag for reality, not for the renderer",  but in all seriousness,
the data is useless without renderers and vice-versa.

I haven't had the time lately to check-in with the US SOTM group, but I'd
like to see a schema file for tags that have gone through the approval
process that JOSM, mkgmap, Mapnik, Potlatch, etc... can all read.

Obviously, the file would need to be kept centralized and only be writable
by a limited number of people.  CVS, GIT, and MediaWIKI all have user-rights
functions to accomplish this.  Any takers?