[Tagging] Fast food vs. restaurant vs. cafe

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Tue May 4 05:39:03 BST 2010

On 4 May 2010 14:24, Roy Wallace <waldo000000 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think we can avoid having multiple meanings for identical tags in
> the OSM database. (though I realise you disagree, John).

I'm not disagreeing with the intent of Katie, I just don't think it's
possible to lump all fast food places everywhere into a nice tidy
box... It's a big world out there and there is bound to be grey areas
that local knowledge will tags things one way or the other...

> As for cafe vs. restaurant vs. fast_food, to look at the bigger
> picture...I'm seriously wondering whether those tags even have
> *verifiable* distinctions (of course, this depends on their
> definition).

It seems to me that people are using fast_food interchangeably with
junk_food, in Australia in recent years McDonalds have been pushing
hard to clean up their image, as a result they only cook food to
order, and they no longer have fast food, but slow food...