[Tagging] Fast food vs. restaurant vs. cafe

Wed May 5 02:37:20 BST 2010

At 2010-05-04 18:15, Greg Troxel wrote:

>Alan Mintz <Alan_Mintz+OSM at Earthlink.Net> writes:
>
> > At the risk of bringing up the ambiguous meaning of "cafe" discussion
> again
> > :) I'm using cafe for coffee-houses like Starbucks, with very limited,
> > usually pre-made, offerings like sandwiches and pastries.
>
>I think that's the right call.  Starbuck's is primarily about coffee,
>tries to have high-end coffee, and tries to have nice food even if
>limited.
>
>Would you call dunkin donuts "fast food"?  I do, because I get more of a
>"megacorp volume" feel than a "quality food" feel there.

I'd actually prefer something like shop=donut to cafe, since it seems that
donut places are largely buy-something-and-take it with you, but that may
be my own bias. Then again, there are certain lines of work who use donut
shops as places to sit/eat/talk (no that's not bias - I've known and spent
time at them with cops :) ).